Kane Scott Center is a very-large government-owned nursing home located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. With an overall score of A-, this is without a doubt a high quality nursing home. As a matter of fact, this is actually one of the top fifteen nursing homes in the city. Pittsburgh is fortunate to have so many facilities of this quality. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Kane Scott Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
300 Kane Boulevard,
Pittsburgh PA 15243
56.84% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - County
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. The nursing grade weighs numerous datapoints. The most important variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Kane Scott Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a high-end long-term care score. In fact, this turned out to be this facility's third best category grade. In that area, this facility received a score of A-. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.2659 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed turned out to be this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it a decent grade of B- in short-term care. In calculating our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is generally a reliable measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kane Scott Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kane Scott Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kane Scott Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kane Scott Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who had a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kane Scott Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kane Scott Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kane Scott Center, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kane Scott Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kane Scott Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kane Scott Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Kane Scott Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kane Scott Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kane Scott Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kane Scott Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 7.93 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.72 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Davita - Bethel Park2.78 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville3.16 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville3.28 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills3.64 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC6.47 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Total Renal Care Inc6.47 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis6.54 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ohio Valley6.55 miles awayRobinson Plaza, Building #3 Route 60, Suite 110 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15205CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 494-6902