John J Kane Regional Center-Gl is a facility located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which has a total of 687,276 people. Sporting an overall grade of A+, this facility is one of the top facilities we found. Pittsburgh features quite a few other nursing homes, but it is doubtful you will need to look at too many others. This one is a high quality option. If you look further down this page, you will see this place's category grades, which are equally impressive as its overall grade.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
John J Kane Regional Center-Gl
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Pittsburgh senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. The nursing score includes a number of factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving patients even once per day.
This facility also received an A+ inspection score, making it one of the rare nursing homes to receive multiple A+'s in our category grades. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about John J Kane Regional Center-Gl?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also excelled in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 99.36709 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we scored, this nursing home was awarded an impressive grade grade of A in our short-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home wrapped up a straight A report card. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
John J Kane Regional Center-Gl Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 0.6% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 0.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 21.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 1.08% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 99.68% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 18.58% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 15.04% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 0.73 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 15.04% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 26 other nursing homes
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.89 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Davita - Homestead Dialysis0.82 miles away207 West 7th Avenue Homestead Pennsylvania 15120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 476-8700
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Oakland2.76 miles away3260 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 30 (412) 647-3700
- Upmc Presbyterian - Renal Unit2.86 miles away200 Lothrop Street Renal Unit, 11th Flr, Suite f1141.2 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 647-3114
- Va Pittsburgh Healthcare System3.18 miles awayUniversity Drive C 7 East, Room 129 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15240Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 360-6181
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh3.31 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze3.36 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside3.39 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh3.55 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212