John J Kane Regional Center-Gl is a facility located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania which has a total of 687,276 people. After receiving an overall grade of A, this facility is one of the top facilities we found. Pittsburgh features quite a few other nursing homes, but it is doubtful you will need to look at too many others. This one is a high quality option. If you look further down this page, you will see this place's category grades, which are equally impressive as its overall grade.
John J Kane Regional Center-Gl
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - County
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall rating, this nursing home excelled in our inspections category, which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Our nursing score is mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about John J Kane Regional Center-Gl?
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its remarkable resume, this nursing home also received an excellent long-term care grade, with a score of A-. For residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 93.77049 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last category, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent short-term care grade, with an A-. This topped off a straight A report card. In calculating our short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
John J Kane Regional Center-Gl Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained UTI's. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 3.23% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In John J Kane Regional Center-Gl, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.86 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 3.54 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.89 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.08 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc MckeesportAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away1500 Fifth Avenue Mckeesport Pennsylvania 15132Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 664-2000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Davita - Homestead Dialysis0.82 miles away207 West 7th Avenue Homestead Pennsylvania 15120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 476-8700
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Oakland2.76 miles away3260 Fifth Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 30 (412) 647-3700
- Upmc Presbyterian - Renal Unit2.86 miles away200 Lothrop Street Renal Unit, 11th Flr, Suite f1141.2 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 647-3114
- Va Pittsburgh Healthcare System3.18 miles awayUniversity Drive C 7 East, Room 129 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15240Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 360-6181
- Davita - East End Pittsburgh3.31 miles away7714 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 241-6790
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze3.36 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside3.39 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh3.55 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212