JGS Lifecare is a large non-profit nursing home located in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall rating of B+, this looks like a high quality nursing home. At the end of the day, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. We also gave this nursing home phenomenal grades in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this nursing home especially excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A-. Few facilities performed better in that category. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also received a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.16142 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about JGS Lifecare?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it was awarded a score of B. It outperformed most facilities in this area. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This score is considered to be a solid assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
The final category we graded was nursing. We gave this nursing home one of our higher scores in this area, with a B. This nursing home proved to be relatively strong in all areas we analyzed. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
JGS Lifecare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In JGS Lifecare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In JGS Lifecare, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which have experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In JGS Lifecare, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In JGS Lifecare, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In JGS Lifecare, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In JGS Lifecare, 1.93% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In JGS Lifecare, 91.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In JGS Lifecare, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In JGS Lifecare, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In JGS Lifecare, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In JGS Lifecare, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In JGS Lifecare, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In JGS Lifecare, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.17 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 13.05 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.66 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 19.29 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Manchester Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.85 miles away71 Haynes St Manchester Connecticut 06040Proprietary(860) 647-4780
- Springfield Dialysis Center3.21 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC3.54 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)3.77 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.06 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Enfield Dialysis Center4.77 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis5.05 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center6.36 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Chicopee Dialysis Center6.73 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529