Jefferson's Ferry is a small non-profit facility in Centereach, New York. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home number 159 in the country. This puts it in the top one percent of all nursing homes. Based on all of the relevant data, you can not go wrong with this place. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was awarded a dominant score of A in our short-term care area. Our short-term care ratings are probably more critical for people requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Jefferson's Ferry?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. Our nursing rating analyzes many components, however, the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category, this nursing home also was given an excellent long-term care rating, with a grade of A. This topped off a very favorable profile. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jefferson's Ferry Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jefferson's Ferry, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jefferson's Ferry, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jefferson's Ferry, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jefferson's Ferry, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jefferson's Ferry, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which were given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jefferson's Ferry, 13.6% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jefferson's Ferry, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jefferson's Ferry, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jefferson's Ferry, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Jefferson's Ferry, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jefferson's Ferry, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jefferson's Ferry, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jefferson's Ferry, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 12.66 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.51 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci0.64 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc2.4 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Coram Dialysis Center2.76 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center6.12 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr7.7 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center9.66 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Community Hospital9.71 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Long Island Community Hospital9.72 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828