Jefferson's Ferry is a small non-profit facility in Centereach, New York. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home number 79 in the country. This puts it in the top one percent of all nursing homes. Based on all of the relevant data, you can not go wrong with this place. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
500 Mather Drive,
Centereach NY 11720
78.33% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing grades are primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Jefferson's Ferry?
Long-term Care Quality
Another strength for this facility was long-term care, where it received an A+ score. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a dangerous ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for this category. This topped off a straight A profile. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jefferson's Ferry Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jefferson's Ferry, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jefferson's Ferry, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jefferson's Ferry, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jefferson's Ferry, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jefferson's Ferry, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jefferson's Ferry, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jefferson's Ferry, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jefferson's Ferry, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jefferson's Ferry, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Jefferson's Ferry, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jefferson's Ferry, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jefferson's Ferry, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jefferson's Ferry, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.73 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 12.66 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.51 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.83 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci0.64 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc2.4 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Coram Dialysis Center2.76 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- Davita Medford Kidney Center6.12 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr7.7 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center9.66 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Community Hospital9.71 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Dialysis Stations: 6 (631) 654-7160
- Long Island Community Hospital9.72 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828