Jefferson Health Care Center is a facility located in Sewell, New Jersey, a city with 37,433 people. This nursing home proved to be an A rated facility. This nursing home received one of the best scores we offer. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate marks across the board. We were impressed enough to rate this nursing home as one of the 50 best facilities in New Jersey. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's remarkable profile is its long-term care score. We discuss long-term care in the next section.
Jefferson Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
535 Egg Harbor Road,
Sewell NJ 08080
53.84% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of offering very favorable levels of nurse staffing, this facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to 98.8417 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this place had 2.81 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this wasn't as favorable as some of its other scores in this category, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to some of the medical complexity of residents.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are largely associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 5.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, of which a significant portion was provided by registered nurses. This is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. On top of offering high levels of care, this place also excelled in several of the quality measures we looked at. With below five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared as well as any place the state in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Jefferson Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care. Adding to its elite resume, this facility also performed well in this area. In fact, it received a of A in that area. Short-term care grades are generally used to score a facility's rehabilitation services In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This facility excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it offered more care from registered nurses and physical therapists than the typical nursing home. This is certainly an encouraging sign. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it performed as well as just about any facility in New Jersey in this area with 59.2 percent of its residents returning home. At most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Lastly, this nursing home also received top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a score of B+. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jefferson Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 2.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which have sustained a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 10.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 17.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 5.91% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 92.7% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 11.08% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 14.69% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 14.69 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 8.11 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jefferson Health Care Center, 81.01% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Jefferson Stratford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away18 East Laurel Road Stratford New Jersey 08084Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 346-7802
- Inspira Medical Center WoodburyAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away509 N Broad St West Deptford New Jersey 08096Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 845-0100
- Virtua West Jersey Hospitals VoorheesAcute Care Hospitals 10.39 miles away100 Bowman Drive Voorhees New Jersey 08043Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 247-3000
- Inspira Medical Center ElmerAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away501 West Front Street Elmer New Jersey 08318Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 363-1000
- Weisman Childrens Rehabilitation HospitalChildrens 12.71 miles away92 Brick Road, 3rd Floor Marlton New Jersey 08053Proprietary(856) 489-4520
- Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.22 miles away1600 Haddon Avenue Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 580-6330
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.12 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Fkc Sewell1.02 miles away300 Medical Center Drive Suite A Sewell New Jersey 08080Dialysis Stations: 31 (856) 218-4990
- Kennedy Dialysis Center Washington Twp4.49 miles awayDialysis Unit 300 Medical Center Dr Sewell New Jersey 08080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (856) 218-4990
- Davita Renal Center of Sewell4.49 miles awayRenal Center 660 Woodbury-Glassboro Rd, Suite 29 Sewell New Jersey 08080Dialysis Stations: 21 (856) 464-1172
- Fmc Winslow4.68 miles away510 Williamstown Rd Unit 2a Sicklerville New Jersey 08081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 728-2811
- Fresenius Medical Care Deptford LLC6.03 miles away1689 Delsea Drive West Deptford New Jersey 08096Dialysis Stations: 19 (856) 468-5049
- Fkc Liberty Berlin Dc7.98 miles away30 Tansboro Road Berlin New Jersey 08009CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (856) 809-0036
- Fkc Liberty Runnemede8.31 miles away170 Ninth Avenue Unit B Runnemede New Jersey 08078Dialysis Stations: 18 (856) 312-0101
- Fmc Woodbury Dialysis Ctr8.33 miles away571 North Evergreen Ave West Deptford New Jersey 08096CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (856) 853-8735