Jeanne Jugan Residence is one of 45 facilities in Bronx, New York. The city has quite a few more choices than most other areas in the state. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the most impressive facilities we looked at. We were impressed enough to rank this nursing home as one of the 50 best facilities in New York. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which look to be equally strong as its overall rating.
Jeanne Jugan Residence
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite facility overall, this facility performed well in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed as well in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A+. Nursing grades are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Jeanne Jugan Residence?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this nursing home was awarded first-rate long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a score of A in this area. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 98.8764 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also received a very strong short-term care score, with an A-. This finished off a very favorable profile. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jeanne Jugan Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 91.89% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.85 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Davita Bronx Dialysis Center2.56 miles awayKnickerbocker Dialysis, Inc 1615 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 892-7700
- Davita Eastchester Road Dialysis Center2.56 miles awayLiberty r.c. Inc. 1515 Jarrett Place Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 822-4940
- Bronx Center for Renal Dialysis2.61 miles away1010 Underhill Avenue Bronx New York 10472CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 863-8300
- Pelham Parkway Dialysis Center2.71 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bldg 5 Dialysis Center Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 409-1909
- Waters Place Dialysis Center2.78 miles away1733 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 822-1968
- Fms-Eastchester2.85 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC2.85 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.3.01 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974