James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is in Newport News, Virginia, a city with a population of 179,275 people. This facility received a concerning overall grade of D in our grading scheme. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Newport News. The city has just one other nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Newport News senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this facility a good overall grade, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the category of inspections, where it earned a B. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of C. Nursing grades are largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third best category is its long-term care score, where it was awarded a C. In the category of long-term care, we focus on the quantity of services provided by a nursing home, rather than more medically-intensive services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 97.603485 percent of its patients, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed is short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a rock bottom score. Short-term care scores are meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the figures we looked at. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.07% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.92% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In James River Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.57 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.09 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.28 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 14.53 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.54 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.87 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 15.5 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Davita - Newport News1.4 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Zara Dialysis LLC1.95 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis1.95 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton2.05 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Butler Farm Dialysis3.19 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News3.41 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News4.78 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080
- Langley Dialysis5.77 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620