Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co is a facility located in Richmond Hill, New York. The city has 36,256 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score in this range requires strong scores in most areas. Based on our analysis, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
89-40 135th Street,
Richmond Hill NY 11418
90.39% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility has received near flawless health inspections recently. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Inspection scores weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable short-term care grade. In fact, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this category. In our short-term care score, we attempt to craft a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also received favorable long-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we awarded them one of our more favorable scores in that area, with a score of B+. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.83137 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last category we looked at was nursing. In that area, we gave this nursing home a solid grade of C. This proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. In calculating a facility's nursing rating, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the levels of training of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, our nursing scores also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 13.2% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many believe that mobility is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jamaica Hospital Nursing Home Co, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.9 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 5.16 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Wyckoff Heights Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away374 Stockholm Street Brooklyn New York 11237Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 963-7272
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.95 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Kew Gardens Dialysis Center0.46 miles away120-46 Queens Boulevard Kew Gardens New York 11415CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (718) 793-3341
- Davita Jamaica Hillside Dialysis1.6 miles away171-19 Hillside Ave Jamaica New York 11432Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 526-2051
- Fms-South Queens Dialysis Center1.79 miles away175-37 Liberty Avenue Jamaica New York 11433CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (718) 297-9100
- Davita Ozone Park Dialysis1.83 miles away100-02, Rockaway Blvd Ozone Park New York 11417Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 843-0694
- Davita Queens Dialysis Center2.08 miles away118-01 Guy R. Brewer Boulevard Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (718) 341-6711
- Fms-St. Alban's Dialysis Center2.68 miles away172-70 Baisley Blvd Jamaica New York 11434CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 949-1600
- Atlas Park Dialysis2.75 miles away8000 Cooper Ave Ridgewood New York 11385Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 326-2789
- Vestal Healthcare LLC3.05 miles away176-35 Union Turnpike Fresh Meadows New York 11366Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 969-3293