Indian River Center is a large nursing home located in Melbourne, Florida. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber typically indicates a few concerning datapoints. At the end of the day, we would struggle to recommend this place. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category scores
Indian River Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
7201 Greenboro Dr,
Melbourne FL 32904
85.47% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this place a good overall score, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid facilities with too many deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The second most favorable category we gave this nursing home in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a C. With our short-term care score, we seek to forge a sound measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It was respectable in this metric with 47.6 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Indian River Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing scores are mostly associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 2.6 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, which is this facility's least impressive category. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this area. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. One of the data points we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 96.20253 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Indian River Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Indian River Center, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Indian River Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Indian River Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Indian River Center, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Indian River Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Indian River Center, 2.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Indian River Center, 95.03% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Indian River Center, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Indian River Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Indian River Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Indian River Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Indian River Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Indian River Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Melbourne, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Melbourne, Florida has 9 other nursing homes
- Steward Melbourne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.1 miles away250 North Wickham Road Melbourne Florida 32935Proprietary(321) 752-1200
- Holmes Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away1350 S Hickory St Melbourne Florida 32901Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-7000
- Palm Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away1425 Malabar Rd, Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907Proprietary(321) 434-8000
- Viera HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away8745 N Wickham Rd Melbourne Florida 32940Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-9000
- Steward Rockledge HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.65 miles away110 Longwood Ave Rockledge Florida 32955Proprietary(321) 637-2603
- Cape Canaveral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.54 miles away701 W Cocoa Beach Causeway Cocoa Beach Florida 32932Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 799-7111
- Fmc - Brevard Home Therapies2.71 miles away2200 W Eau Gallie Blvd #202a Melbourne Florida 32935Dialysis Stations: 4 (321) 259-1181
- Melbourne Dialysis3.55 miles away2235 South Babcock St Melbourne Florida 32901Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 956-6252
- Melbourne Kidney Center3.59 miles away1400 S Apollo Blvd Melbourne Florida 32901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (321) 724-0461
- Renal Care Group - Brevard5.51 miles away1355 Palm Bay Rd Palm Bay Florida 32905Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 768-9801
- Fmc - Palm Bay6.62 miles away450 Malabar Rd Se #101 Palm Bay Florida 32907Dialysis Stations: 17 (321) 409-0874
- Palm Bay Kidney Center7.4 miles away220 Medplex Pkwy Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 722-2709
- North Melbourne Dialysis Inc9.73 miles away14 Suntree Place Suite 102 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 10 (321) 253-9033
- Dsi - Viera Dialysis9.89 miles away8041 Spyglass Hill Rd Suite 101 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 254-4553