Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital is located in El Monte, California. The city has a total of 90,977 people. We awarded this facility an overall rating of A-, making it the number one rated nursing home in the city. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you're going to find. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its long-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this nursing home was given a decent short-term care score. While this wasn't quite as strong as a few of its other category grades, this is really not a major area of concern. Short-term care ratings are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Idle Acre Sanitarium & Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for El Monte, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Monte, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 3.51 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.48 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.2.39 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Greater El Monte Dialysis Center2.99 miles away1938 Tyler Avenue, Suite J-168 South El Monte California 91733CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (626) 350-6692
- Advanced Dialysis Center3.03 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.3.63 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Fmc-El Monte3.66 miles away11204 E. Rush Street South El Monte California 91733Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 582-1121
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center3.75 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis3.8 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center4.18 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404