Huron Woods Nursing Center is in Kawkawlin, Michigan, a city with a population of 4,643 people. This facility appears to be one of the higher-graded facilities we looked at. A score of this caliber requires very strong scores across the board. As far as we can see, this nursing home should be a great choice for most people. This facility's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which is addressed in the next section.
Huron Woods Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1395 S Huron Rd,
Kawkawlin MI 48631
61% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Top Nursing Home in Michigan Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home received an excellent nursing rating. In fact, we gave it an A- in that area. The nursing score weighs a variety of subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
To add to its first-rate assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A- for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to judge a facility's rehabilitation services. To have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Huron Woods Nursing Center?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor dings are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is long-term care, where this nursing home was given a B-. Although this turned out to be its poorest category score, this is nevertheless not a terrible score. In the category of long-term care, we assess the amount of services offered by a nursing home, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 99.23664 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Huron Woods Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who sustained falls leading to major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Huron Woods Nursing Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Mclaren Bay RegionAcute Care Hospitals 9.07 miles away1900 Columbus Ave Bay City Michigan 48708Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 894-3000
- Midmichigan Medical Center-MidlandAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away4000 Wellness Drive Midland Michigan 48670Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 839-3000
- Healthsource SaginawAcute Care Hospitals 17.35 miles away3340 Hospital Road Saginaw Michigan 48603Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 790-7888
- Covenant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.8 miles away1447 N Harrison Saginaw Michigan 48602Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 583-4000
- Ascension St Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.98 miles away800 S Washington Avenue Saginaw Michigan 48601Voluntary non-profit - Church(989) 776-8000
- Ascension Standish HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.71 miles away805 W Cedar St Standish Michigan 48658Voluntary non-profit - Church(517) 846-4521
- Davita - Bay City Dialysis7.29 miles away3170 Professional Ct Bay City Michigan 48706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (989) 686-8782
- Bay Area Reg Dialysis - Essexville9.65 miles away1536 W Center Rd Essexville Michigan 48732Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 894-2810
- Davita - Midland Dialysis13.47 miles away4901 Jefferson Ave Midland Michigan 48640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 839-7770
- Gulch Dialysis LLC14.57 miles away5641 Bay Rd Saginaw Michigan 48604Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 249-1350
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw15.42 miles away4800 Mcleod Dr E Saginaw Michigan 48604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (989) 790-9440
- Saginaw Dialysis Clinic - Davita18.94 miles away311 Hoyt Ave Saginaw Michigan 48607Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 771-5094
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw Riverside19.26 miles away920 N Niagara St Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (989) 921-2170
- Town Center Dialysis - Davita19.41 miles away323 N Michigan Ave Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 791-3624