Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks is a large non-profit facility located in Huntersville, North Carolina. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade in this range requires strong scores in most areas. This place definitely has plenty going for it. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well overall, this facility earned nearly flawless government inspections. Therefore, it received one of our best grades in that category with an A+. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this facility an A. Nursing scores are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was short-term care. We gave them one of our more impressive scores in that category, with a grade of A-. In our short-term care score, we strive to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care, which proved to be this facility's worst category. We gave this facility a grade of D in this area. However, you shouldn't judge this facility solely on a single weak area, as it received several high-end scores in other categories. For patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.75785 percent of its patients, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 10.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 22.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 3.01% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 87.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 18.87% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 24.57% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 24.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atrium Health Huntersville Oaks, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.45 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health University CityAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away8800 North Tyron Street Charlotte North Carolina 28262Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 548-6000
- Lake Norman Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away171 Fairview Road Mooresville North Carolina 28117Proprietary(704) 660-4000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.03 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Carolinas Healthcare System NortheastAcute Care Hospitals 13.79 miles away920 Church St N Concord North Carolina 28025Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 783-3000
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.98 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Independent Nephrology Services Huntersville1.27 miles away9920 Kincey Avenue Ste 140 Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 947-2341
- Huntersville Dialysis1.51 miles away9622 Kincey Ave Huntersville North Carolina 28078Dialysis Stations: 14 (704) 912-3890
- North Charlotte5.57 miles away6620 Old Statesville Road Charlotte North Carolina 28269CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (704) 599-1355
- Dsi Glenwater Dialysis7.36 miles away9030 Glenwater Drive Charlotte North Carolina 28262CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (704) 503-6900
- Bma of Beatties Ford Inc8.29 miles away1534 North Hoskins Road Charlotte North Carolina 28216CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (704) 394-7335
- Davita Sugar Creek8.39 miles away5100 Reagan Dr Suite 10 Charlotte North Carolina 28206Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 921-9823
- Fmc of North Charlotte9.92 miles away5220 N Tryon Street Charlotte North Carolina 28213CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (704) 596-0680
- Harrisburg Dialysis Center9.93 miles away3310 Perry St Concord North Carolina 28027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (704) 792-1144