Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center is just one of 14 nursing homes in Las Vegas, Nevada. This turns out to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of C. Las Vegas received a city grade of B, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
660 Desert Ln,
Las Vegas NV 89106
85.14% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned an inspection grade which is stronger than its overall score. Inspection grades are tied to a nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing grade analyzes many components, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category is short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average grade in this area. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is generally a solid measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care, ended up being this facility's worst category. We gave this facility a grade of D in that area. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinates 99.07835 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.66% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 19.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 76.14% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.91% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.97% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who remained mobile levels. Many believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 17.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.39 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Horizon Health and Rehabilitation Center, 65.91% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Las Vegas, NV
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Las Vegas, Nevada has 13 other nursing homes
- Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away620 Shadow Lane Las Vegas Nevada 89106Proprietary(702) 388-4000
- University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.44 miles away1800 W Charleston Blvd Las Vegas Nevada 89102Government - Local(702) 383-2000
- Sunrise Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.47 miles away3186 S Maryland Pkwy Las Vegas Nevada 89109Proprietary(702) 731-8000
- North Vista HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away1409 East Lake Mead Blvd North Las Vegas Nevada 89030Voluntary non-profit - Private(702) 657-5504
- Spring Mountain SaharaPsychiatric 3.32 miles away5460 West Sahara Las Vegas Nevada 89146Proprietary(702) 873-2400
- Southern Nevada Adult Mental Health ServicesPsychiatric 3.64 miles away6161 W Charleston Blvd Las Vegas Nevada 89146Government - State(702) 486-6000
- Desert Springs HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away2075 East Flamingo Road Las Vegas Nevada 89119Proprietary(702) 369-7600
- Mountainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.18 miles away3100 N Tenaya Way Las Vegas Nevada 89128Proprietary(702) 255-5065
- Red Moon Dialysis0.51 miles away900 S Main St Las Vegas Nevada 89101Dialysis Stations: 36 (702) 383-9741
- South Las Vegas Dialysis (Dva)1.32 miles away2250 S Rancho Dr Ste 115 Las Vegas Nevada 89102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (702) 795-1771
- Las Vegas Dialysis Center (Dva)1.96 miles away150 S Valley View Blvd Las Vegas Nevada 89107CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (702) 878-0908
- Lake Mead North (Fmc)2 miles away1581 Mount Mariah Drive Suite 100 Las Vegas Nevada 89106Dialysis Stations: 32 (702) 647-4089
- Desert Inn Dialysis (Fmc)2.44 miles away2545 S Bruce St, Ste 100 Las Vegas Nevada 89169CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (702) 735-5477
- North Las Vegas Dialysis Center (Dva)2.98 miles away2065 North Las Vegas Blvd. North Las Vegas Nevada 89030CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (702) 639-0469
- Davita East Sunrise Dialysis3.03 miles away1750 E Desert Inn Road Ste 100 Las Vegas Nevada 89169Dialysis Stations: 21 (702) 474-7052
- Desert Springs Dialysis Center (Dva)4 miles away2110 E Flamingo Rd Ste 108 Las Vegas Nevada 89119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (702) 696-9768