Hopkins Center is located in Wyncote, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 7,063 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a great choice. You could certainly do much worse than this facility. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
8100 Washington Lane,
Wyncote PA 19095
94.81% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a strong nursing home is that it received a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In this area, we gave this facility an A-. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Adding to its impressive resume, this facility also excelled in the area of nursing. We gave it an B for that category. Our nursing rating is primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as predictive indicators of the quality of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Does this page answer your questions about Hopkins Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this facility also earned a score of B for its short-term care rating. This is an above average score in this category. Our short-term care grades are probably more critical for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides more care with registered nurses to its residents than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that it performed decently in this area, with 49.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of C in that category. Long-term care grades are generally used to judge a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.2126 percent of its residents, which is a very solid datapoint. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hopkins Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hopkins Center, 7.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hopkins Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients who sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hopkins Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hopkins Center, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hopkins Center, 19.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hopkins Center, 3.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hopkins Center, 89.35% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hopkins Center, 15.62% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hopkins Center, 23.88% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hopkins Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hopkins Center, 23.88 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hopkins Center, 72.17% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.65 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Roxborough Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.33 miles away5800 Ridge Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19128Proprietary(215) 483-9900
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 5.39 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis0.81 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Reliant Renal Care - Cheltenham, LLC1.63 miles away7107 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19126Dialysis Stations: 10 (267) 297-8069
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Olney2.21 miles away2154-58 Stenton Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19138CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 548-3704
- Sahara Dialysis, LLC2.41 miles away133 Cheltenham Avenue Cheltenham Pennsylvania 19012CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 635-1870
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis2.55 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.2.72 miles away301 W. Chelten Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19144Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 844-1976
- Davita - Northern Philadelphia2.8 miles away5933 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 549-5000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Mt. Airy3.14 miles away10 East Moreland Avenue, Suite 300 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (215) 381-0310