Homestead Hills is located in the large metropolitan area of Winston Salem, North Carolina with a population of 250,944 people. We awarded this nursing home an A overall grade, ranking it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. Based on the data we reviewed, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. This nursing home also received consistently good ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Winston Salem senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in North Carolina Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Winston Salem, North Carolina Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home also received excellent government inspections recently. We gave it one of our highest scores in that category, with an A. Inspection scores are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing ratings are largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Homestead Hills?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also performed well in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Few facilities fared better in this category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 84.05797 percent of its residents, which is somewhat below what we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last category, this nursing home also was given a first-rate short-term care score, with a grade of B+. This completed a first-rate report card. In forming these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Homestead Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Homestead Hills, 11.48% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Homestead Hills, 20.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Homestead Hills, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents which sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Homestead Hills, 18.84% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Homestead Hills, 12.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Homestead Hills, 0% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Homestead Hills, 87.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Homestead Hills, 8.89% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Homestead Hills, 5.64% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Homestead Hills, 5.64% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Homestead Hills, 11.45% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Homestead Hills, 85.72% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Winston Salem, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Winston Salem, North Carolina has 8 other nursing homes
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away3333 Silas Creek Parkway Winston Salem North Carolina 27103Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 718-5000
- Novant Health Thomasville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.02 miles away207 Old Lexington Rd Box 789 Thomasville North Carolina 27360Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 472-2000
- High Point Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.43 miles away601 N Elm St High Point North Carolina 27261Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 878-6000
- Lexington Memorial Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.59 miles away250 Hospital Drive PO Box 1817 Lexington North Carolina 27293Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 248-5161
- Davie Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.53 miles away223 Hospital Street Mocksville North Carolina 27028Voluntary non-profit - Private(336) 751-8100
- Miller Street Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University1.92 miles away120 Miller St Winston Salem North Carolina 27103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 44 (336) 724-0468
- Wfu Baptist Medical Center Dialysis Unit3.04 miles away8 N Hemodialysis Medical Center Blvd Winston Salem North Carolina 27157Dialysis Stations: 4 (336) 716-3170
- Piedmont Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University3.94 miles away655 Cotton Street Winston Salem North Carolina 27101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 58 (336) 721-1360
- Salem Kidney Center of Wake Forest University6.39 miles away2705 Boulder Park Court Winston Salem North Carolina 27101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (336) 761-8808
- Northside Dialysis Center of Wake Forest Univerisity9.42 miles away500 West Hanes Mill Road Winston Salem North Carolina 27105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 45 (336) 744-0577
- King Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University15.46 miles away140 Moore Road King North Carolina 27021Dialysis Stations: 17 (336) 985-3531
- High Point Kidney Center of Wake Forest University16.79 miles away1900 Westchester Drive High Point North Carolina 27262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (336) 889-9200
- Lexington Dialysis Center of Wake Forest University17.55 miles away233 Anna Lewis Drive Lexington North Carolina 27292CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (336) 248-6808