Holyoke Healthcare Center is located in Holyoke, Massachusetts, a city with a total of 39,880 people. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this is a strong facility. Impressively, the nursing homes in Holyoke received high grades across the board, making this one of the better places in Massachusetts to find a nursing home. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section
Holyoke Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
Among this facility's other accomplishments is its high-end short-term care grade. We gave them one of our more impressive grades in that area, with a grade of A-. Our short-term care scores are likely more critical for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Holyoke Healthcare Center?
This facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. There are a host of factors within this grade. Many of the factors relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a solid grade of B-. This proved to be this facility's least impressive area. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care ratings. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 92.17391 percent of its residents. This is a bit below what we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holyoke Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 1.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Holyoke Healthcare Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Holyoke, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Holyoke, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.64 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 8.88 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 14.28 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC2.76 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts3.15 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Chicopee Dialysis Center3.85 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center4.56 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)7 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)7.03 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center7.45 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center7.49 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989