With more than 25 options located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Holy Family Home is one of the multitude of nursing homes here. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is one of the highest-graded nursing homes we looked at. We flat out can not say enough favorable things about this place. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category scores, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Holy Family Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5300 Chester Avenue,
Philadelphia PA 19143
44% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well overall, this nursing home earned nearly flawless government inspections. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that area with a grade of A+. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. It doesn't look like we were able to find information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received an A+ for its long-term care score. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Holy Family Home?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. We scrutinized the levels of nurses employed by the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, we gave this facility an A+ for our short-term care rating. This topped off a very impressive report card. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holy Family Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holy Family Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holy Family Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holy Family Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holy Family Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holy Family Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holy Family Home, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holy Family Home, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holy Family Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holy Family Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Holy Family Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holy Family Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 48 other nursing homes
- Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaChildrens 1.64 miles away34th St & Civic Center Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 590-3745
- Penn Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away51 North 39th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 662-8000
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- Hahnemann University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away230 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19102Proprietary(215) 762-7000
- Thomas Jefferson University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away111 South 11th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 955-6000
- Delaware County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away501 North Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill Pennsylvania 19026Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 284-8100
- Pennsylvania HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.49 miles away800 Spruce Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19107Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 829-3000
- Cooper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away1 Cooper Plaza Camden New Jersey 08103Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 342-2000
- Davita - Cobbs Creek Dialysis0.73 miles away1700 South 60th Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (215) 730-0500
- Davita - Philadelphia 42nd Street Dialysis1.31 miles away4126 Walnut Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (215) 387-0500
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Philadelphia1.48 miles away4216 Market Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 34 (215) 662-5990
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia1.52 miles away3500 Civic Center Blvd. 2nd Floor Buerger Center Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 590-4600
- Davita Renal Center of Philadelphia, LLC1.52 miles away5630 Chestnut St., 2nd Flr Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 476-8301
- Davita - Philadelphia Pmc Dialysis1.71 miles away3823 Market Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (215) 222-0671
- Davita - Philadelphia - Market Street1.81 miles away3701 Market Street, Suite 100 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19104CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 387-2658
- Dialysis Center of West Philadelphia, LLC1.85 miles away4800 Brown Street, Suite 201 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19139Dialysis Stations: 33 (215) 581-4993