Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Knoxville, Tennessee. This facility is one of the most impressive nursing homes we found. It received one of the best grades we offer. You really can not do any better than this facility. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong. It would be hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Knoxville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving an elite overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ inspection rating. This grade is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can offer a facility. Inspection grades are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find deficiency data for this nursing home. We wish we had more information about this nursing home. Without the deficiency data, it was a challenge to assess this facility in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf assessment, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent short-term care score, with a score of A. In crafting these short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing score analyzes several datapoints, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B+. This completed a very impressive report card. Only a select few facilities received a B+ or higher in each of our categories. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 87.982834 percent of its residents. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which experienced a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 88.31% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 74.44% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Knoxville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Knoxville, Tennessee has 7 other nursing homes
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 4.82 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.35 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- Blount Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.92 miles away907 E Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville Tennessee 37804Government - Local(865) 983-7211
- Davita Dialysis1.73 miles away2909 E Magnolia Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 25 (865) 525-2232
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.2.03 miles away2519 E Magnolia Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 21 (865) 633-6052
- Bio-Medical Application of Tennessee, Inc.3.94 miles away4440 Walker Blvd. Knoxville Tennessee 37917Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 687-3436
- Dci Knoxville4.36 miles away3734 Martin Mill Pike Knoxville Tennessee 37920CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (865) 573-3944
- Fmc Dialysis Fort Sanders4.64 miles away1740 Western Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 523-1516
- Dci Holston River Clinic4.7 miles away5811 East Gov. John Sevier Hwy Knoxville Tennessee 37924Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 523-3755
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee5.19 miles away1826 Ailor Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921Dialysis Stations: 4 (865) 524-5308
- Fmc Powell8.51 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700