Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Knoxville, Tennessee. This facility is one of the most impressive nursing homes we found. It received one of the best grades we offer. Even in a city of 15 nursing homes, this facility would be a great option. Scroll down to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong. It would be hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving an elite overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ inspection rating. This grade is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this category is one of the best complements we can offer a facility. Inspection grades are based on several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find deficiency data for this nursing home. We wish we had more information about this nursing home. Without the deficiency data, it was a challenge to assess this facility in this area.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home was awarded a high-end grade of A- in our short-term care area. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation To have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a better than average nursing rating in our assessment, with a B. Even though this was not nearly as impressive as several of its other scores, this is still one of our more favorable scores in this area. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the criteria we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 95.045044 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.67% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 89.63% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Holston Health & Rehabilitation Center, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Knoxville, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Knoxville, Tennessee has 14 other nursing homes
- Fort Sanders Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.78 miles away1901 W Clinch Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-1101
- East Tennessee Childrens HospitalChildrens 4.82 miles away2018 Clinch Ave Sw Knoxville Tennessee 37916Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 541-8000
- University of Tn Medical Center (The)Acute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away1924 Alcoa Highway Knoxville Tennessee 37920Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 544-9000
- Tennova Healthcare-North Knoxville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away7565 Dannaher Way Powell Powell Tennessee 37849Proprietary(865) 545-8000
- Parkwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.35 miles away9352 Park West Blvd Knoxville Tennessee 37923Voluntary non-profit - Private(865) 970-9800
- Blount Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.92 miles away907 E Lamar Alexander Parkway Maryville Tennessee 37804Government - Local(865) 983-7211
- Davita Dialysis1.73 miles away2909 E Magnolia Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 25 (865) 525-2232
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.2.03 miles away2519 E Magnolia Ave Knoxville Tennessee 37914Dialysis Stations: 21 (865) 633-6052
- Bio-Medical Application of Tennessee, Inc.3.94 miles away4440 Walker Blvd. Knoxville Tennessee 37917Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 687-3436
- Dci Knoxville4.36 miles away3734 Martin Mill Pike Knoxville Tennessee 37920CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (865) 573-3944
- Fmc Dialysis Fort Sanders4.64 miles away1740 Western Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 523-1516
- Dci Holston River Clinic4.7 miles away5811 East Gov. John Sevier Hwy Knoxville Tennessee 37924Dialysis Stations: 24 (865) 523-3755
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee5.19 miles away1826 Ailor Avenue Knoxville Tennessee 37921Dialysis Stations: 4 (865) 524-5308
- Fmc Powell8.51 miles away732 E. Emory Rd Knoxville Tennessee 37938CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (865) 947-1700