Hirest Nursing Home is a nursing home in San Bernardino, California, which has a population of 236,660 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some respectable scores. This grade is right in line with the city grade in San Bernardino, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Hirest Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We wanted to point out that this nursing home' short-term care grade outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we gave it a B+ for short-term care. Short-term care grades are often employed to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services. To have highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
This nursing home also received favorable inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a B. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hirest Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities third best category was long-term care. We gave it a B- in this area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. For residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
This facility's worst area is nursing, which is the final area we assessed. It received an abysmal F for this category. Even with some decent scores in other categories, this grade is nevertheless of a concern so we felt obligated to make sure you are aware. There are a number of data points included in this grade. Many of the subcategories are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hirest Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hirest Nursing Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hirest Nursing Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hirest Nursing Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hirest Nursing Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hirest Nursing Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hirest Nursing Home, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hirest Nursing Home, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hirest Nursing Home, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hirest Nursing Home, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Hirest Nursing Home, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hirest Nursing Home, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hirest Nursing Home, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hirest Nursing Home, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Bernardino, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Bernardino, California has 10 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of San BernardinoAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1805 Medical Center Drive San Bernardino California 92411Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 887-6333
- St Bernardine Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away2101 N Waterman Ave San Bernardino California 92404Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 883-8711
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 9.88 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Mountains Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 10.21 miles away29101 Hospital Road Lake Arrowhead California 92352Government - Hospital District or Authority(909) 336-3651
- Redlands Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away350 Terracina Blvd Redlands California 92373Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 335-5500
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Davita-Mountain Vista Dialysis Center1.38 miles away4041 University Parkway San Bernardino California 92407CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 887-0173
- Davita Serrano Dialysis3.1 miles away1800 Medical Center Dr. Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92411Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 887-2717
- Fmc-Rai-North Waterman-San Bernardino3.8 miles away1500 N. Waterman Avenue. Suite A San Bernardino California 92404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 381-1591
- Fmc-Rai-North Riverside-Rialto4.47 miles away1850 N. Riverside Avenue, Suite 150 Rialto California 92376CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 879-1185
- Fmc-Rai-Care Centers of Colton, LLC7.25 miles away1275 W. "C" Street Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 430-0930
- Arrowhead Regional Medical Center7.3 miles away400 N. Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Dialysis Stations: 8 (909) 580-3911
- Fmc-San Bernardino7.46 miles away636 E. Brier Drive, Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 890-9508
- Davita-Colton Ranch Dialysis7.52 miles away1405 Valley Blvd., Suite 100 Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 783-7948