Hillview Convalescent Hospital is a small nursing home located in Morgan Hill, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires favorable scores in most areas. You can certainly do much worse than this facility. As you will find below, this place also performed well in our category ratings. It is hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hillview Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Morgan Hill senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Morgan Hill, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Morgan Hill, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall score, this facility performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. There are several datapoints within this area. Many of the subcategories relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a patient even once per day.
This nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections. We gave it an B+ for that category. Our inspection scores are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Hillview Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received an impressive short-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This category is often a meaningful assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care, in which this facility received a B. This facility did not turn out to have any weaknesses. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hillview Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 4.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 2.94% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 0.73% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 22.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 7.64% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 1.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 3.39% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 12.13% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hillview Convalescent Hospital, 12.13% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
- St Louise Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away9400 No Name Uno Gilroy California 95020Voluntary non-profit - Church(408) 848-2000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Watsonville Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.19 miles away75 Nielson Street Watsonville California 95076Proprietary(831) 724-4741
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.24 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Dominican HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.86 miles away1555 Soquel Drive Santa Cruz California 95065Proprietary(831) 462-7700
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 19.9 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Satellite Dialysis Morgan Hill1.46 miles away16060 Caputo Drive, Suite 140 Morgan Hill California 95037CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (408) 337-4100
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Teresa9.89 miles away7019 Realm Drive San Jose California 95119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 229-1110
- Satellite Dialysis9.94 miles away8095 Camino Arroyo #100 Gilroy California 95020CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 848-5410
- Fmc San Jose10.25 miles away6850 a Santa Teresa Boulevard San Jose California 95119Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 229-0344
- Satellite Dialysis San Jose12.94 miles away393 Blossom Hill Road Suite 110 San Jose California 95123CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 629-9802
- Satellite Dialysis Silver Creek15.4 miles away1620 East Capitol Expressway San Jose California 95121CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (408) 754-3400
- Satellite Healthcare Evergreen15.47 miles away3251 South White Road, Suite 10 San Jose California 95148Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 766-6500
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley15.48 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260