Hillside Village of De Soto is a small facility in De Soto, Kansas. With an A overall grade, we rated this facility in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. We can't find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its grades are as good as they get. Headlining this facility's exemplary profile is its long-term care rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hillside Village of De Soto
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on De Soto senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.515526 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's government inspections. Facilities that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Hillside Village of De Soto?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. We looked at the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with patients, in determining our score in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was short-term care, in which this nursing home received a grade of B. Believe it or not, this ended up being this nursing home's weakest category. A nursing home could be doing a lot worse when their poorest grade still is superior to most facilities. Our short-term care grades are important for individuals looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hillside Village of De Soto Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who had falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients which suffered from a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 18.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents which are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 5.66% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 91.03% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 17% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hillside Village of De Soto, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.64 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 13.78 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Lawrence Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.62 miles away325 Maine Street Lawrence Kansas 66044Government - Local(785) 505-6100
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.73 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 15.32 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.22 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Olathe Dialysis11.12 miles away732 W Frontier Lane Olathe Kansas 66061CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 390-4937
- Gardner Dialysis11.67 miles away328 E Main St Gardner Kansas 66030Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 884-8488
- Fkc - Lenexa12.84 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Wyandotte West Dialysis13.25 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Lenexa Dialysis13.48 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis13.69 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis13.71 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Johnson County Dialysis14.45 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044