Niles Canyon Post Acute is a senior living facility located in Fremont, California, a city with a population of 214,112 people. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is ranked among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. In fact, this is one of the five highest graded nursing homes in the city. As you can see below, this place also performed well in our category scores. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Niles Canyon Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
38650 Mission Boulevard,
Fremont CA 94536
76.3% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A-. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Niles Canyon Post Acute?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a score of B+. Our short-term care grades are presumably more meaningful for individuals needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Turning to our last area, this facility also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we gave it a B+ in that category. This finalized a very impressive profile. In calculating our nursing grades, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Niles Canyon Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents that sustained falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Fremont, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Fremont, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 14.77 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Davita Fremont Dialysis1.39 miles away2599 Stevenson Blvd Fremont California 94538CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 796-4385
- Wellbound of Menlo Park LLC1.43 miles away39510 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Suite 100 Fremont California 94538Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 953-7800
- Fmc Fremont1.49 miles away39505 Paseo Padre Parkway Fremont California 94538CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 659-1240
- Union City Dialysis Center3.5 miles away32930 Alvarado-Niles Road #300 Union City California 94587CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (510) 489-6996
- Fmc Ardenwood3.61 miles away37478 Cedar Blvd Ste A Newark California 94560CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (510) 744-0790
- Hayward6.54 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis8.49 miles away1860 Milmont Drive Milpitas California 95035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 935-0600
- Pleasanton Dialysis Center8.59 miles away5720 Stoneridge Mall Road #160 Pleasanton California 94588CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 737-0120