Niles Canyon Post Acute is a senior living facility located in Fremont, California, a city with a population of 214,112 people. Featuring an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is ranked among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. In fact, this is one of the five highest graded nursing homes in the city. As you can see below, this place also performed well in our category scores. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Niles Canyon Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of long-term care. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned an A-. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Niles Canyon Post Acute?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B+. When determining our nursing grades, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a B+. This completed an elite report card. Few nursing homes received a B+ or better in each of our categories. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Niles Canyon Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Niles Canyon Post Acute, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fremont, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fremont, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 1.44 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.3 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 14.77 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Davita Fremont Dialysis1.39 miles away2599 Stevenson Blvd Fremont California 94538CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 796-4385
- Wellbound of Menlo Park LLC1.43 miles away39510 Paseo Padre Pkwy, Suite 100 Fremont California 94538Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 953-7800
- Fmc Fremont1.49 miles away39505 Paseo Padre Parkway Fremont California 94538CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 659-1240
- Union City Dialysis Center3.5 miles away32930 Alvarado-Niles Road #300 Union City California 94587CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (510) 489-6996
- Fmc Ardenwood3.61 miles away37478 Cedar Blvd Ste A Newark California 94560CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (510) 744-0790
- Hayward6.54 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Satellite Dialysis8.49 miles away1860 Milmont Drive Milpitas California 95035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 935-0600
- Pleasanton Dialysis Center8.59 miles away5720 Stoneridge Mall Road #160 Pleasanton California 94588CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 737-0120