Hillside Center is one of a multitude of nursing home options you can choose from in Wilmington, Delaware. With an overall rating of A-, this is without a doubt a high quality facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home is simply as good as it gets. This facility also received strong grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Wilmington senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. The nursing rating features a variety of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given an impressive score of A in our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hillside Center?
This facility has had near flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this area. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility received an excellent long-term care rating. We gave it a grade of B+ in that area, finishing off one of our more favorable report cards. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 94.94949 percent of its residents, which is better than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hillside Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hillside Center, 6.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hillside Center, 2.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients which experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hillside Center, 1.04% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hillside Center, 13.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hillside Center, 19.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hillside Center, 14.5% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hillside Center, 96.24% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hillside Center, 10.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hillside Center, 16.67% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Hillside Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hillside Center, 16.67% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hillside Center, 11.58% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hillside Center, 86.51% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Wilmington, DE
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Wilmington, Delaware has 14 other nursing homes
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 3.21 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 5.62 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.48 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.34 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.57 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine1.07 miles away303 a Street Wilmington Delaware 19801Dialysis Stations: 25 (302) 658-7469
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilmington1.24 miles awaySt. Francis Medical Office Building, Suite 404 7th and Clayton Street Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 421-9177
- Liberty Dialysis - Wilmington1.3 miles away913 Delaware Avenue Wilmington Delaware 19806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (302) 429-0142
- Wilmington Veterans Administration Medical Center1.88 miles away1601 Kirkwood Highway Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 5 (302) 994-2511
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Riverside Park2.53 miles awayRiverside Medical Arts Complex, Suite g2 700 W. Lea Boulevard Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 24 (302) 762-8585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Newport Pike2.88 miles away605 W. Newport Pike Wilmington Delaware 19804Dialysis Stations: 16 (302) 633-6228
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center3.01 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374
- Fresenius Kidney Care - North Wilmington3.04 miles away4000 Washington Street Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 762-2903