Hilaire Rehab & Nursing is an average-sized government-owned nursing home in Huntington, New York. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade in this range requires respectable scores in most areas. As far as we can see, this place is a good fit for most people. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Hilaire Rehab & Nursing
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
9 Hilaire Drive,
Huntington NY 11743
95.78% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Federal
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially would like to point out its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave it an A in this category. Our inspection scores are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 98.87218 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Hilaire Rehab & Nursing?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a favorable short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is considered to be a reliable assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The last category we looked at is nursing. We gave it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. Nursing grades are largely based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hilaire Rehab & Nursing Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents that experienced a UTI. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat several conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 13.75% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 90.38% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hilaire Rehab & Nursing, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.72 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.55 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Huntington Hospital0.88 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis1 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Carillon Dialysis LLC1.39 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis5.7 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack6.54 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis9.2 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.9.62 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370