Highview of Northampton is an average-sized nursing home in Leeds, Massachusetts. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Leeds. The city has just one other nursing home. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Highview of Northampton
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Highview of Northampton has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Leeds senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our nursing rating. When calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, although this facility got dinged a bit for its nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we awarded this nursing home a B- for our long-term care rating, which really isn't a bad grade. Long-term care grades are generally used to score a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 95.23809 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Highview of Northampton?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's next highest score is short-term care. However, with a D in this category, it still fared somewhat badly. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Based on its poor grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn this facility offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Moving on our last category of inspections, this facility received a horrible grade. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. With places that received this bad of an inspection grade, we would scrutinize the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highview of Northampton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highview of Northampton, 8.33% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highview of Northampton, 1.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highview of Northampton, 1.09% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients which sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highview of Northampton, 28.57% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highview of Northampton, 30.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highview of Northampton, 2.35% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highview of Northampton, 90.55% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highview of Northampton, 21.29% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highview of Northampton, 15.93% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is important for patients health.
In Highview of Northampton, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highview of Northampton, 15.93% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highview of Northampton, 18.94% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highview of Northampton, 68.83% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.24 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.26 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Franklin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away164 High Street Greenfield Massachusetts 01301Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 773-0211
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center4.9 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC13.68 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts14.38 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Chicopee Dialysis Center15.18 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center15.74 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC17.84 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)18.32 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)18.34 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751