Highview of Northampton is an average-sized nursing home located in Leeds, Massachusetts. This nursing home was given a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a subpar score. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Leeds. The city has just one other nursing home. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Highview of Northampton
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
222 River Road,
Leeds MA 01053
90.75% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Highview of Northampton has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home well overall, we would like to point out its decent government inspections in recent years. We awarded it a relatively respectable score of C in this area. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means it avoided the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. Our nursing grade is mostly associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This place provides only 3.2 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Finally, we also factored some quality measures into our nursing scores. This facility was relatively weak in two of the major metrics we look at, with below average scores for minimizing its patients' pressure ulcers and major falls. These areas are often indicators of the quality of nursing care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Highview of Northampton?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities third most favorable category is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is essentially a slightly below average grade in this area. In our short-term care score, we seek to craft a fair measure for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. It performed decently in this area, with 46.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this nursing home was given an acceptable long-term care score of C. Long-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of nursing care. This means a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated just 89.89899 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 1.48 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highview of Northampton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highview of Northampton, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highview of Northampton, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highview of Northampton, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highview of Northampton, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highview of Northampton, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highview of Northampton, 1.96% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highview of Northampton, 91.59% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highview of Northampton, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highview of Northampton, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Highview of Northampton, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highview of Northampton, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highview of Northampton, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highview of Northampton, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.24 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.26 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Franklin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.49 miles away164 High Street Greenfield Massachusetts 01301Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 773-0211
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 17.8 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Hampshire County Dialysis Center4.9 miles away84 Conz Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 586-7989
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC13.68 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128
- Dialysis Center of Western Massachusetts14.38 miles away601 Memorial Drive, Suite H Chicopee Massachusetts 01020Dialysis Stations: 15 (413) 593-3078
- Chicopee Dialysis Center15.18 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center15.74 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- Ara-Ludlow Dialysis, LLC17.84 miles away14 Chestnut Place, Suite B Ludlow Massachusetts 01056CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 583-7983
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)18.32 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)18.34 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751