Highlandspring of Fort Thomas is located in Fort Thomas, Kentucky. This city has 16,459 people. With an A- overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the country. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you'll find. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section
Highlandspring of Fort Thomas
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize that this nursing home earned near flawless government inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive scores, this nursing home received an excellent long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a score of A in that category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Highlandspring of Fort Thomas?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of short-term care, where it was given a score of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This rating is considered to be a solid measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The last category we rated was nursing, in which this facility was awarded a B. Even though this turned out to be its worst category score, this is still an impressive rating. Our nursing score looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highlandspring of Fort Thomas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 2.74% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 15.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 28.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 8.85% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 90.04% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 15.42% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 13.78 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 72.12% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 5.04 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Medical Center NorthAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away1 Medical Village Drive Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Voluntary non-profit - Church(859) 301-2000
- St Elizabeth FlorenceAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away4900 Houston Road Florence Kentucky 41042Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 212-5220
- Davita - South Hill Dialysis0.62 miles away525 Alexandria Pike Suite 120 Newport Kentucky 41071Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 442-5539
- Davita - 12th St. Covington Dialysis2.72 miles away1500 James Simpson Jr. Way, Ste. 1100 Covington Kentucky 41011Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 261-4345
- Davita - Mt Auburn Dialysis3.74 miles away2109 Reading Road Cincinnati Ohio 45202Dialysis Stations: 28 (513) 784-1800
- Davita - Cold Spring Dialysis3.79 miles away430 Crossroads Blvd Newport Kentucky 41076Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 441-3981
- Dci - Cincinnati4.05 miles away499 East Mcmillan Street Cincinnati Ohio 45206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (513) 281-0091
- Davita - Christ Hospital4.07 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 585-0314
- Cincinnati Childrens Hospital Med Ctr5.05 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue, Unit - Mlc 7022 Cincinnati Ohio 45229Dialysis Stations: 7 (513) 636-4443
- Fmc - Liberty Norwood6.09 miles away2071 Sherman Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 841-1800