Highlandspring of Fort Thomas is located in Fort Thomas, Kentucky. This city has 16,459 people. With an A- overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the country. This is just about as good of a nursing home as you'll find. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive report card was its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Highlandspring of Fort Thomas
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Fort Thomas senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize that this nursing home earned near flawless government inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area typically have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many impressive scores, this nursing home received an excellent long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a score of A in that category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Highlandspring of Fort Thomas?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. The nursing grade weighs a handful of subcategories, many of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was short-term care. In this category, we awarded this facility an impressive grade of B. Our short-term care grades are probably most important for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highlandspring of Fort Thomas Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 5.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 1.75% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents which sustained a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 0.27% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients which have experienced a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care residents that are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 40.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients which are given antianxiety medication. These medications are used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 7.62% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 99.54% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 18.28% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 8.18% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 8.18% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 8.05% of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highlandspring of Fort Thomas, 88.19% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 0.41 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 5.04 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- Mercy Health-Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away7500 State Road Cincinnati Ohio 45255Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 624-4006
- St Elizabeth Medical Center NorthAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away1 Medical Village Drive Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Voluntary non-profit - Church(859) 301-2000
- St Elizabeth FlorenceAcute Care Hospitals 9.7 miles away4900 Houston Road Florence Kentucky 41042Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 212-5220
- Davita - South Hill Dialysis0.62 miles away525 Alexandria Pike Suite 120 Newport Kentucky 41071Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 442-5539
- Davita - 12th St. Covington Dialysis2.72 miles away1500 James Simpson Jr. Way, Ste. 1100 Covington Kentucky 41011Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 261-4345
- Davita - Mt Auburn Dialysis3.74 miles away2109 Reading Road Cincinnati Ohio 45202Dialysis Stations: 28 (513) 784-1800
- Davita - Cold Spring Dialysis3.79 miles away430 Crossroads Blvd Newport Kentucky 41076Dialysis Stations: 12 (859) 441-3981
- Dci - Cincinnati4.05 miles away499 East Mcmillan Street Cincinnati Ohio 45206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (513) 281-0091
- Davita - Christ Hospital4.07 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 585-0314
- Cincinnati Childrens Hospital Med Ctr5.05 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue, Unit - Mlc 7022 Cincinnati Ohio 45229Dialysis Stations: 7 (513) 636-4443
- Fmc - Liberty Norwood6.09 miles away2071 Sherman Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 841-1800