Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Clearwater, Florida. With an overall grade of C, this is likely a solid facility. Clearwater received a city grade of B+, so there are other options in the city worth looking at. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection reports, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection grade. Its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of B-. Long-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of care. This means a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 95.187164 percent of its patients. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category ended up being its short-term care grade, where it was given a grade of C. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average facility. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Switching gears to our fourth area, we gave this facility a D for the area of nursing. This is the facility's worst category grade. The nursing rating includes several factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that sustained a UTI. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highland Pines Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Clearwater, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Clearwater, Florida has 13 other nursing homes
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.77 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Adventhealth North PinellasAcute Care Hospitals 12.39 miles away1395 S Pinellas Ave Tarpon Springs Florida 34689Voluntary non-profit - Other(727) 942-5000
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.86 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater1.46 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies1.47 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center1.47 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC1.62 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490
- Bay Breeze Dialysis Clinic Inc4.15 miles away11550 Ulmerton Rd Largo Florida 33778CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 584-4047
- Gulf Breeze Dialysis Center4.61 miles away1519 Main Street Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 25 (727) 738-4425
- Bma - Clearwater4.76 miles away26338 Us Hwy 19 N Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 723-8123
- Fresenius Kidney Care-Dunedin4.78 miles away1121 Overcash Drive Suite A Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 733-1112