Highland Park Care Center is a large facility in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This nursing home is a very solid facility, with an overall grade of B. Even in a city offering 29 other nursing homes, this nursing home should be a sound option. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Highland Park Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
745 North Highland Avenue,
Pittsburgh PA 15206
57.56% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned first-rate government inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our best grades in this area, with a grade of A+. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. While this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received an impressive short-term care grade. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. In calculating our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a solid measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Park Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its next best category score in the area of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. In calculating our long-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.34426 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Switching gears to the last area, this facility was awarded a B- in nursing, which is generally an acceptable rating. In determining our nursing ratings, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Park Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Park Care Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Park Care Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Park Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Park Care Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Park Care Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Park Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Park Care Center, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Park Care Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Park Care Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Highland Park Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Park Care Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highland Park Care Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highland Park Care Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Upmc St MargaretAcute Care Hospitals 1.84 miles away815 Freeport Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15215Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 784-4000
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 3.02 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Upmc PassavantAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away9100 Babcock Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15237Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 367-6700
- Upmc EastAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away2775 Mosside Boulevard Monroeville Pennsylvania 15146Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 357-3000
- Davita Bloomfield - Pittsburgh1.36 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Suite C Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (412) 683-3212
- Davita Pittsburgh Home Modality Coe Pd1.36 miles away5171 Liberty Avenue, Building A Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 605-0415
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Western Pennsylvania1.38 miles away5124 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 23 (412) 682-0205
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Shadyside1.62 miles away4925 Baum Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Dialysis Stations: 20 (412) 687-2279
- Upmc Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh1.63 miles awayOne Children's Hospital Drive 4401 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 864-8717
- Davita - Pittsburgh Dialysis1.73 miles away4312 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 12 (412) 681-8556
- Dialysis Clinic Inc - Canterbury1.88 miles away376 Fisk Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Dialysis Stations: 6 (412) 683-2670
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Point Breeze2.06 miles away7620 Meade Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15221Dialysis Stations: 22 (412) 247-5223