Highland Oaks is a small non-profit facility located in Elgin, Illinois. This facility received an A- overall, which is one of the most impressive grades we offer. A score of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, this proved to be one of the three highest graded facilities in Elgin. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also quite good. It is hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also performed well in our inspections category, where it earned a grade of A+. Very few nursing homes performed this well in this area. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we have information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this facility is that it was given a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, this ended up being its second best category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 96.82539 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Oaks?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this nursing home also earned a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is an above average score in this category. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The final category we scored is nursing. This nursing home was given an impressive nursing score this year, with a grade of B. Although this was not as strong as several of its other grades, this remains one of our stronger scores for this category. Nursing scores are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Oaks, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Oaks, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Oaks, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Oaks, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Oaks, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Oaks, 30.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Oaks, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Oaks, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Oaks, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Highland Oaks, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Oaks, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 1.45 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 10.39 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.46 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.1 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 17.31 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin0.41 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training1.71 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Fmc - of Elgin2.26 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis3.9 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin4.25 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Davita - Carpentersville4.71 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.04 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Davita Huntley Dialysis9.23 miles away10370 Haligus Road Suite 100 Huntley Illinois 60142Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 669-8145