Highland Oaks is a very-small non-profit facility located in Elgin, Illinois. This proved to be an A+ facility. Being awarded an A+ in our grading scheme takes first-rate scores across the board. In fact, this proved to be the best facility in Elgin. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which are equally impressive. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Elgin senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Elgin, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also performed well in our inspections category, where it earned a grade of A+. Very few nursing homes performed this well in this area. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category tend to have very few of these severe deficiencies. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that we have information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Another reason we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing score looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a patient even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Oaks?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a fine long-term care score. In fact, this ended up being this nursing home's third best category grade. In that area, this facility received a score of A. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.61111 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next category, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that area. This finalized truly elite report card. In determining these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Oaks, 1.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Oaks, 1.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Oaks, 1.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Oaks, 11.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Oaks, 6.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Oaks, 4.48% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Oaks, 99.31% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Oaks, 1.56% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Oaks, 4.04% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Highland Oaks, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Oaks, 4.04% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 3 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 1.45 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 10.39 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.46 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.1 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 17.31 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin0.41 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training1.71 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Fmc - of Elgin2.26 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis3.9 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin4.25 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Davita - Carpentersville4.71 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis8.04 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Davita Huntley Dialysis9.23 miles away10370 Haligus Road Suite 100 Huntley Illinois 60142Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 669-8145