Highland Meadows Health & Rehab is one of four available facilities located in Rockwall, Texas. Featuring an overall score of C, this looks like a decent nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Rockwall, which is admittedly a bit below average nationally. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Highland Meadows Health & Rehab
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. This is far better than its overall rating. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a strong long-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a B+ in this area, which happens to be one of our better. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 91.221375 percent of its patients, which is slightly lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Meadows Health & Rehab?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also earned an elite nursing score. We gave this facility an D. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was short-term care, which is the final area we scored. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area. In spite of several decent scores in other areas, this score is nevertheless of a concern so we would like to to point it out. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most important for folks in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this facility offers substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Meadows Health & Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 94.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highland Meadows Health & Rehab, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Rockwall, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Rockwall, Texas has 3 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 11.84 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.23 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- Methodist Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.17 miles away2831 E President George Bush Highway Richardson Texas 75082Government - Hospital District or Authority(469) 204-1000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 16.71 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 19.39 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 19.45 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Rockwall Dialysis Center1.64 miles away2346 Greencrest Blvd Rockwall Texas 75087Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 722-4781
- Liberty Dialysis - Rockwall2.54 miles away2850 Ridge Road Suite 112 Rockwall Texas 75032Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 961-4336
- Davita Rowlett Dialysis5.52 miles away7700 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 100a Rowlett Texas 75088Dialysis Stations: 16 (214) 607-1479
- Usrc Rowlett, LLC5.6 miles away7600 Lakeview Parkway Suite 200 Rowlett Texas 75088Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 412-1631
- Fresenius Medical Care Rowlett7.12 miles away3801 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 100 Rowlett Texas 75088CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (214) 703-6951
- Wylie Dialysis9.92 miles away941 South Westgate Way Wylie Texas 75098Dialysis Stations: 15 (972) 429-4315
- Liberty Dialysis - Wylie Murphy10.45 miles away2300 W Fm 544 Suite 140 Wylie Texas 75098Dialysis Stations: 18 (972) 429-3700
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC10.45 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767