Located in Fall River, Massachusetts, Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center is one of seven nursing homes in the city. This turns out to be an A rated facility, which is one of the top ratings we offer. In fact, this is better than most of the facilities in Fall River, which has a decent selection of nursing homes. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary profile is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center
Updated Jul 1, 2019 by Sara Levinsohn
761 Highland Avenue,
Fall River MA 02720
83.07% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Data for Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
On top of being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ government inspections recently. Its inspections are virtually perfect. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the category of long-term care, where it received a grade of A. Only a select group of facilities received a better grade in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.67442 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our nursing score analyzes a handful of subcategories, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B. Believe it or not, this is this facility's weakest category. A nursing home could be doing a lot worse when their lowest grade still is superior to most nursing homes. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which have experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 91.59% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Manor Care and Rehabilitation Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 6 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.89 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 12.46 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.91 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.92 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.85 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC0.87 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton3.78 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center8.3 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis9.42 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Dialysis Center of East Providence12.64 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital12.82 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.36 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairhaven14.24 miles away216 Huttleson Avenue Fairhaven Massachusetts 02719Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 996-0364