Located in Sunland, California, High Valley Lodge is one of only three available nursing homes there. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is likely a solid nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Sunland. The best part of this facility's report card is is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
High Valley Lodge
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
7912 Topley Lane,
Sunland CA 91040
87.59% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Inspection ratings are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. It actually outpaced most facilities in this area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 95.783134 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly health condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about High Valley Lodge?
This nursing home also received a strong grade in our nursing category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing grade weighs many subcategories, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care, which was this facility's weakest area. We awarded this facility a D in that category. Sadly, this grade hurt the facility's overall grade to some degree. Our short-term care ratings are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. It looks like this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the data we considered. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
High Valley Lodge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In High Valley Lodge, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In High Valley Lodge, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In High Valley Lodge, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In High Valley Lodge, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In High Valley Lodge, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In High Valley Lodge, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In High Valley Lodge, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In High Valley Lodge, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In High Valley Lodge, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In High Valley Lodge, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In High Valley Lodge, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.86 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.47 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis4.68 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC5.8 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- Fmc-Burbank6.67 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Davita-North Hollywood Dialysis6.98 miles away12126 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood California 91606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (818) 980-5070
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis7.28 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando8.11 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Fmc-San Fernando8.11 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis8.5 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822