Hickory House Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home located in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania. We awarded this nursing home an A overall grade, ranking it in the top ten percentile of all facilities in the nation. We really can't say enough good things about this nursing home. This also ended up being a very consistent facility with consistent ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Hickory House Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Hickory House Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a impressive long-term care grade. This actually is this facility's third strongest category score. In that area, this facility received a score of A-. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last area, this facility received an extremely favorable short-term care rating. In fact, we gave it an A- in that category, giving this facility straight A's. In determining our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hickory House Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which have had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.57 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.56 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.67 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.25 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.21 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Usrc Coatesville, LLC6.47 miles away160 Airport Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-4569
- Granue Dialysis, LLC6.58 miles away1129 West Lincoln Highway Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-3866
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis8.17 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC11.65 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Davita - Ephrata15.6 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis16.26 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- u.s. Renal Care - Pottstown16.28 miles away5 South Sunnybrook Road, Suite 500 Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (610) 718-1127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester17.08 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103