Hickory House Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home located in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania. We awarded this nursing home an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all facilities in the nation. We really can't say enough good things about this nursing home. This nursing home also received consistently good ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Hickory House Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
We also would like to emphasize the fact that this facility has received excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this category. Our inspection grades are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its elite performance in other areas, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are often used to measure a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Hickory House Nursing Home?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, this facility also performed well in our long-term care category. We gave it a B+ in this category. This rounded out a very impressive report card. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hickory House Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 3.23% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 88.5% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hickory House Nursing Home, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.57 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Phoenixville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.56 miles away140 Nutt Road Phoenixville Pennsylvania 19460Proprietary(610) 983-1000
- Pottstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.67 miles away1600 East High Street Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 327-7000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Reading HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away420 S 5th Avenue Reading Pennsylvania 19611Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 988-8000
- Wellspan Ephrata Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.25 miles away169 Martin Avenue Ephrata Pennsylvania 17522Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 733-0311
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.21 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Usrc Coatesville, LLC6.47 miles away160 Airport Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-4569
- Granue Dialysis, LLC6.58 miles away1129 West Lincoln Highway Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 383-3866
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis8.17 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902
- Dialyze Direct Pa LLC11.65 miles away495 Thomas Jones Way, Suite 300 Exton Pennsylvania 19341Dialysis Stations: 1 (484) 870-9260
- Davita - Ephrata15.6 miles away67 West Church Street Stevens Pennsylvania 17578CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 335-7399
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis16.26 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- u.s. Renal Care - Pottstown16.28 miles away5 South Sunnybrook Road, Suite 500 Pottstown Pennsylvania 19464CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (610) 718-1127
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester17.08 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103