Hickory Heights Health and Rehab is a senior living facility in Little Rock, Arkansas. The city has a total of 214,454 people. This nursing home an acceptable overall grade of B-, which resulted in it being one of the top five nursing homes in the city. Even in a city featuring 14 other nursing homes, this facility looks like a quality selection. The best part of this place's profile is is its nursing grade. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Hickory Heights Health and Rehab
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
#3 Chenal Heights Drive,
Little Rock AR 72223
86.91% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this facility's nursing score outpaced its overall score. We gave it a B+ for its nursing score. Nursing scores are tied to levels of nurse staffing. With 4 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this nursing home surpassed the national average. Lastly, this nursing home also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. For example, it fared as well as any nursing home Arkansas when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We look at these datapoints as predictive indicators of the quality of nursing care being provided.
Inspections is another category where this nursing home excelled. In fact, we awarded this facility an B+ for our inspections category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Hickory Heights Health and Rehab?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive grade in our long-term care category. We gave this facility a better than average grade of B in this area. Facilities that receive this type of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.281784 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, we looked at the facility's number of hospitalizations. We found that this facility had 3.17 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Although this admittedly wasn't as impressive as some of its other scores in this category, this number can be skewed for some nursing homes based on the medical complexity of residents.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was short-term care, which is this facility's weakest category. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. Unfortunately, this category pulled down the facility's overall grade to a certain degree. In determining our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is considered to be a fair measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 44.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hickory Heights Health and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 8.47% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 2.32% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric may be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 12.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 21.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 95.84% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 12.45% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 14.17% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 14.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hickory Heights Health and Rehab, 77.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Little Rock, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Little Rock, Arkansas has 13 other nursing homes
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 6.35 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 9.36 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Baptist Health Medical Center North Little RockAcute Care Hospitals 13.26 miles away3333 Springhill Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72117Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 202-3000
- St Vincent Medical Center/NorthAcute Care Hospitals 14.13 miles away2215 Wildwood Avenue Sherwood Arkansas 72120Voluntary non-profit - Church(501) 552-7100
- Saline Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.02 miles away#1 Medical Park Drive Benton Arkansas 72015Proprietary(501) 776-6000
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic4.42 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis4.68 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Fmcna - Little Rock Dialysis4.87 miles away10310 W Markham Ste 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 225-3890
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC5.09 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208
- Dci - Little Rock Renal Services LLC5.25 miles away1910 John Barrow Rd Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 227-0983
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis5.92 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754
- Fmcna - East Little Rock7.16 miles away5320 West 12th St Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 660-7867
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital-Dialysis9.19 miles away1 Childrens Way-Slot 204 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Dialysis Stations: 7 (501) 364-1813