Heritage Rehabilitation Center is in Torrance, California. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this facility is ranked among the more impressive nursing homes we looked at. This is better than most of the nursing homes in Torrance, which has a decent selection of facilities. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which are also strong. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Heritage Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an excellent short-term care score, with an A. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. Nursing ratings are mostly associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Rehabilitation Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility earned a grade of B for its inspections rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. In this area, we awarded this facility an impressive grade of B. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who remained mobile levels.
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Rehabilitation Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.29 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 3.45 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Harbor Ucla0.1 miles away21602 S. Vermont Avenue Torrance California 90502CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (310) 533-0413
- Davita-Carson Dialysis0.85 miles away1309 E. Carson Street Carson California 90745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 513-1427
- u.s. Renal Care Carson Dialysis1.85 miles away930 East Dominguez Street, Suite A Carson California 90746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 532-5100
- Fmc-Carson1.93 miles away20710 S. Leapwood Avenue, Suite F Carson California 90746Dialysis Stations: 11 (310) 323-8997
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th2.22 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Fmc-South Bay Home Therapy3 miles away1223 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710Dialysis Stations: 6 (310) 325-0416
- Fmc-South Bay3.04 miles away1221 Pacific Coast Highway Harbor City California 90710CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 539-1221
- u.s. Renal Care Lomita Dialysis3.18 miles away1830 Lomita Blvd. Lomita California 90717CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 530-7796