Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of just a few nursing homes in Bedford, Ohio. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. As far as we can see, you'd be better off to avoid of this nursing home. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this nursing home earned a decent grade in our long-term care category. We provide more information about this category below.
Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
24579 Broadway Ave,
Bedford OH 44146
69.06% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. Surprisingly, this place was hit with a category J through K deficiency, which are among the worst possible categories of deficiencies. This often tells you inspectors found a deficiency which placed resident safety or health in immediate danger. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a an abysmal grade in our short-term care category. It was given a lowly F in this area. Our short-term care grade is typically used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. With a grade in this range for this category, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home was below average in many staffing figures we focus on. The facility provided far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics sunk this nursing home's short-term care score.
Does this page answer your questions about Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F in this area, which is a poor grade. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 78.212296 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 90.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grand Oaks Nursing and Rehabilitation, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 11.26 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.02 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.0.87 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526
- Fmc - Solon3.11 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall4.24 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.4.47 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis4.73 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.6.3 miles away5595 Transportation Blvd., Suite 110 Cleveland Ohio 44125CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 581-0801
- Cleveland Home Dialysis6.81 miles away9729 Granger Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Dialysis Stations: 4 (216) 438-7325
- Ohio Renal Holdings Inc.6.91 miles away3609 Park East Drive, Suite 106 North Beachwood Ohio 44122Dialysis Stations: 6 (216) 455-1315