Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge is a large nursing home located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This facility was given a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we looked at. Not surprisingly, this is rated as one of the bottom 10 rated nursing homes in Baton Rouge based on the data we assessed. In a city with countless other facilities, you will probably be able to find a better option. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. Unfortunately, it does not appear that we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't grade out too badly in the category of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a B- in that category, which is another one of its more respectable scores. In the category of long-term care, we analyze the amount of care offered by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. In determining our nursing grades, we analyze both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. It received an F in this category, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.6 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 9.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have suffered a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 2.76% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 15.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 22.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 1.54% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 89.03% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 16.37% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 1.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 16.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 12.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge, 63.81% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Baton Rouge, LA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baton Rouge, Louisiana has 21 other nursing homes
- Womans HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away100 Woman's Way Baton Rouge Louisiana 70817Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 927-1300
- Ochsner Medical Center - Baton RougeAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away17000 Medical Center Dr Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 752-2470
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away5000 Hennessy Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Voluntary non-profit - Church(225) 765-6565
- St James Behavioral Health Hospital, IncPsychiatric 10.63 miles away3136 South St Landry Road Gonzales Louisiana 70737Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 647-7524
- Baton Rouge General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.61 miles away3600 Florida Blvd Baton Rouge Louisiana 70806Voluntary non-profit - Private(225) 387-7767
- Prevost Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 18.38 miles away301 Memorial Dr Donaldsonville Louisiana 70346Government - Hospital District or Authority(225) 474-2133
- Fmcna - Ascension3.61 miles away17392 Vallee Ct Prairieville Louisiana 70769Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 622-0685
- Davita - Prairieville3.61 miles away17123 Commerce Center Dr Prairieville Louisiana 70769Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 673-1127
- Davita - East Baton Rouge6.57 miles away1333 Oneal Ln Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 16 (225) 226-1444
- Fkc - O'neal Lane6.62 miles away1280 O'neal Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70816Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 272-2212
- Fmcna - Greater Baton Rouge Home Program7.09 miles away5399 Mancuso Lane Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 15 (225) 819-2036
- Fmcna - Mancuso7.09 miles away4848 Mancuso Ln, Ste A Baton Rouge Louisiana 70809Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 766-6773
- Davita - Essen Lane Dialysis7.51 miles away7703 Picardy Ave Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 21 (225) 769-8669
- Fkc - j.h. Lee Kidney Center7.55 miles away5348 Flanders Drive Baton Rouge Louisiana 70808Dialysis Stations: 17 (225) 766-3761