With an address in Smithfield, Rhode Island, Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is one of only two available facilities in the city. With an A overall grade, we rated this facility in the top fifth of all nursing homes in the nation. We flat out can not say enough great things about this place. As you will see below, this facility also performed well in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also received favorable long-term care grades this year. Indeed, we gave it one of our better scores in that area, with a score of B+. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.45763 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category, we gave this facility a grade of A+ for our short-term care grade. This finished off an elite report card. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 7.49% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 15.01% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.58% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 94.38% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 16.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 20.63% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.22 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 20.63 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Hills Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 77.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.54 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 7.89 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Sturdy Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away211 Park Street Attleboro Massachusetts 02703Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 222-5200
- Davita North Providence Renal Center1.32 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna of Providence3.78 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Johnston3.81 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Bio-Medical Applications of Rhode Island4.29 miles away622 George Washington Highway Lincoln Rhode Island 02865Dialysis Stations: 17 (401) 333-4727
- Nna - Pawtucket4.57 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket5.22 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- Dialysis Center of Providence5.46 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital6.63 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440