Heritage Health-Elgin is one of four facilities located in Elgin, Illinois. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this is clearly a very good nursing home. Based on our assessment, you can't go wrong with this facility. If you look below, you can see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Elgin senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility has received near flawless health inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection scores are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
To add to its first-rate assessments in other areas, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its short-term care score. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most important for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Health-Elgin?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. When computing a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are with residents as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even its worst category would likely be a strength for most nursing homes. We awarded it a strong grade of B in long-term care. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Health-Elgin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 7.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 1.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that had a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 1.02% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 0% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 0% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 60.55% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 100% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 6.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 10.04% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 10.04% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 3 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 6.36 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.4 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 13.36 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis1.64 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin2.89 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin3.73 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis4.02 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Fmc - of Elgin4.49 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training4.6 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center6.06 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Davita - Carpentersville6.98 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456