Heritage Health-Elgin is one of eight facilities located in Elgin, Illinois. Sporting an overall grade of A-, this is clearly a very good nursing home. Based on our assessment, you can't go wrong with this facility. If you look below, you can see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility has received near flawless health inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Inspection scores are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Health-Elgin?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care grades this year. In fact, we gave it one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a score of B+. In computing our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a reliable measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The final area we rated is nursing, in which this nursing home was given a B. This actually was this nursing home's least impressive category. A nursing home is doing something right when it's lowest score still outperforms most facilities. There are a host of data points included in this category. Most of these criteria are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Health-Elgin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents that have had falls leading to major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 29.8% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 87.49% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Health-Elgin, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 6.36 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.4 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 13.36 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis1.64 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin2.89 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin3.73 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis4.02 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Fmc - of Elgin4.49 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training4.6 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center6.06 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Davita - Carpentersville6.98 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456