With an address in Agawam, Massachusetts, Heritage Hall West is one of four facilities in the city. Sporting an overall rating of C, this looks like a middle of the road facility. Based on our analysis, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Heritage Hall West
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall grade, we also want to point out that this place received favorable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This is a notably better grade than the nursing home's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 77.24719 percent of its residents. This is a bit less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Hall West?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. In computing our nursing scores, we analyze both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this nursing home got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this statistic. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning patients more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest category is short-term care, which is the last area we scored. For this category, we awarded this facility a grade of just D. Short-term care scores are crucial for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.4 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Hall West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Hall West, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Hall West, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term residents which have had a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Hall West, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Hall West, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Hall West, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Hall West, 1.95% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Hall West, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Hall West, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Hall West, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Some believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Heritage Hall West, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Hall West, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Hall West, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Hall West, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Agawam, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Agawam, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 2.67 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.56 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 15.4 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.14 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 17.53 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC0.01 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)2.02 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center2.06 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center4.17 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.77 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Chicopee Dialysis Center4.94 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Enfield Dialysis Center6 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC6.15 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128