Heritage Hall South is a large nursing home in Agawam, Massachusetts. Featuring an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a world class facility. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. Finally, this proved to be a very consistent facility with consistently strong grades in all of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Heritage Hall South
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
65 Cooper Street,
Agawam MA 01001
48.68% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall score, this nursing home excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we gave it an A for that area. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the facility, in addition to the number of hours the nurses spent with residents, in calculating our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents even once per day.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Hall South?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for its long-term care score. This is a first-rate rating. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 97.560974 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our next area, this nursing home was given a high-end short-term care rating. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in this category, rounding out a straight A profile. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This nursing home elevated its grade in this category by offering more care from registered nurses to its residents than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. This place outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the nation in this area with 56.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Hall South Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Hall South, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Hall South, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Hall South, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Hall South, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Hall South, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Hall South, 1.96% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Hall South, 91.59% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Hall South, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Hall South, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Heritage Hall South, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Hall South, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Hall South, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Hall South, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.11 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.6 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 15.54 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.96 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 17.76 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC0.24 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)2.25 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center2.26 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center4.41 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.95 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Chicopee Dialysis Center5.18 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Enfield Dialysis Center5.79 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Palomba Drive Dialysis6.34 miles away51 Palomba Drive Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 10 (860) 749-0476