Heritage Hall North is in Agawam, Massachusetts. With an overall rating of D, this is a lower end nursing home. Keep in mind that Agawam received a city grade of B-, so should look at other options in the city as well. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Heritage Hall North
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
55 Cooper Street,
Agawam MA 01001
71.2% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Heritage Hall North has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a bad overall rating, we awarded it a fairly respectable score in the area of inspections, where we gave it a B-. This was better than its other categories. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of B- in the area. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Hall North?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its third highest category grade in the area of short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this category, which is a decent score. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This category is typically a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 6.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home was given a decent long-term care grade of C. Our long-term care ratings are more important for people requiring more conventional services associated with personal care. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 94.91525 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Hall North Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Hall North, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Hall North, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients who had falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Hall North, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that suffered from UTI's. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Hall North, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Hall North, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Hall North, 1.93% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Hall North, 91.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Hall North, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Hall North, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Heritage Hall North, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Hall North, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Hall North, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Hall North, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Agawam, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Agawam, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Mercy Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away271 Carew Street Springfield Massachusetts 01104Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 748-9000
- Baystate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.87 miles away759 Chestnut Street Springfield Massachusetts 01199Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 794-0000
- Baystate Noble HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.58 miles away115 West Silver Street Westfield Massachusetts 01085Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 568-2811
- Holyoke Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away575 Beech Street Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 534-2500
- Baystate Wing Hospital and Medical CentersAcute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away40 Wright Street Palmer Massachusetts 01069Voluntary non-profit - Other(413) 283-7651
- Rockville General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away31 Union St Vernon Rockville Connecticut 06066Proprietary(860) 872-5160
- Cooley Dickinson Hospital Inc,TheAcute Care Hospitals 17.53 miles away30 Locust Street Northampton Massachusetts 01060Voluntary non-profit - Private(413) 582-2000
- Heritage Dialysis Center, LLC0.01 miles away67 Cooper Street Agawam Massachusetts 01001Dialysis Stations: 13 (413) 786-2022
- Western Mass. Kidney Center (Bma Springfield)2.02 miles away2000 Main Street Springfield Massachusetts 01103CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (413) 739-4751
- Springfield Dialysis Center2.05 miles away125 Liberty Street, Suite 101 Springfield Massachusetts 01103Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 736-9600
- Pioneer Valley Dialysis Center4.18 miles away208 Ashley Avenue West Springfield Massachusetts 01089CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (413) 750-3400
- East Springfield Dialysis (Bma of Massachusetts)4.76 miles away1515 State Street Springfield Massachusetts 01109CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (413) 732-1586
- Chicopee Dialysis Center4.95 miles awayI 391 Industrial Park 317 Meadow Street Chicopee Massachusetts 01013Dialysis Stations: 17 (413) 535-2529
- Enfield Dialysis Center5.99 miles away113 Elm Street Enfield Connecticut 06082Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 745-9800
- Ara-Holyoke Dialysis LLC6.16 miles away36 Lower Westfield Rd Unit C-153 Holyoke Massachusetts 01040Dialysis Stations: 20 (413) 533-3128