Complete Care at Heritage is a senior living facility in Dundalk, Maryland, a city with a total of 55,786 people. Sporting an overall grade of C, this is a middle of the road nursing home. Based on our ratings, this place has some redeeming qualities. We were also pleased to find that this place received consistently decent grades in all of our categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Complete Care at Heritage
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7232 German Hill Road,
Dundalk MD 21222
82.82% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility received a decent overall rating, its inspections grade is notably more impressive than its overall grade. Due to a strong inspection report this year, it received one of our better scores in that area with a grade of B. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this facility an B. Our nursing score is mostly tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Complete Care at Heritage?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it received a B-. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. We awarded this facility a C in that category. Long-term care grades focus on a facility's personal care rather than the highly skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 78.48971 percent of its residents. This is significantly less than what we expected. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Complete Care at Heritage Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Complete Care at Heritage, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Complete Care at Heritage, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Complete Care at Heritage, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Complete Care at Heritage, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Complete Care at Heritage, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Complete Care at Heritage, 10.18% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Complete Care at Heritage, 92.14% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Complete Care at Heritage, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Complete Care at Heritage, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Complete Care at Heritage, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Complete Care at Heritage, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Complete Care at Heritage, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Complete Care at Heritage, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 4.01 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 4.2 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Northpoint Dialysis, LLC0.65 miles away1046 Old Northpoint Rd Baltimore Maryland 21224Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 282-0100
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Dundalk0.83 miles away1107 N Point Boulevard Suite 201 Baltimore Maryland 21224Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 288-2010
- Davita Dundalk Dialysis1.79 miles away14 Commerce St Dundalk Maryland 21222Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 284-9000
- Fresenius Kidney Care Merritt Blvd of Dundalk2.25 miles away1732 Merritt Blvd Dundalk Maryland 21222Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 284-2751
- Fresenius Kidney Care Fleet Street2.43 miles away3700 Fleet Street Ste 102 Baltimore Maryland 21224Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 276-1680
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wolfe Street Pediatrics3.97 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Dialysis Stations: 4 (410) 675-3020
- Fresenius Medical Care Essex Dundalk, LLC4.28 miles away110 Stemmers Run Rd Essex Maryland 21221Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 238-7393
- Fresenius Kidney Care Caroline Street4.33 miles away407 North Caroline Street Baltimore Maryland 21231CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 537-5830