Heritage Care Center is in Saint Louis, Missouri. This city is one of the largest cities in the country with has 927,396 people. This nursing home received an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Heritage Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall score was as bad as it gets, it actually performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to discover that this facility received a solid long-term care rating in our assessment. We awarded it a B- in this area. With our long-term care rating, we focus on the sheer volume of services provided by a facility, as well as a handful of quality datapoints. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 83.65853 percent of its patients. This is pretty significantly below what we expected. On a more positive note, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of short-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in this category. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Based on its abysmal score in this category, we weren't surprised to learn this place offers significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
Switching gears to the last category, this nursing home did not fare very well in this category either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is about as bad as it gets. Our nursing rating assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Care Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Care Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Care Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Care Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Care Center, 4.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Care Center, 88.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Care Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Care Center, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Heritage Care Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Care Center, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Care Center, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 5.89 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Natural Bridge Dialysis0.63 miles away8980 Natural Bridge Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63121Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 426-2064
- Fresenius of Normandy1.09 miles away25 North Oaks Plaza Saint Louis Missouri 63121CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 389-4105
- Westfall Dialysis2.35 miles away8029 W Florissant Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 382-2869
- Metro St Louis Dialysis Center, LLC3.23 miles away10160 W Florissant Saint Louis Missouri 63136Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 869-4978
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.3.55 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Fmc - University City3.74 miles away6850 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63130CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 726-0378
- Metro Dialysis Center - North3.97 miles away2 Grandview Plaza Florissant Missouri 63033CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (314) 831-7990
- Florissant Dialysis3.98 miles away10887 W Florissant Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63136CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 524-5737