Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility is located in New York, New York. The city offers many nursing home options. We gave this facility an overall score of A- which is world class overall grade. As a result, it is among the highest graded facilities in New York, which offers some quality nursing homes. In addition, this nursing home is located in a hospital, which often means the nursing home offers a wider array of healthcare services. This facility also received consistently good grades in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - City
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it earned an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. Our inspection grades are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to emphasize the fact that this nursing home was given an elite grade of A- in our long-term care category. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 90.9864 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the area of short-term care, where it received a score of B+. It outpaced most facilities in this area. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Moving on to our last area, this facility received an extremely favorable nursing score. While this was not nearly as impressive as some of its other scores, this is still one of the stronger scores a facility can receive. There are quite a few criteria included in this category. Many of these factors are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients that have pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents which experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 91.26% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Henry J Carter Skilled Nursing Facility, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for New York, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New York, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.81 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.28 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Lenox Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away100 East 77th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 439-2345
- Hospital for Special SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away535 East 70th Street New York New York 10021Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 606-1000
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-New York Weill CornAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away525 East 68th Street New York New York 10065Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 746-5454
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Palisades Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.92 miles away7600 River Rd North Bergen New Jersey 07047Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 854-5000
- Park Avenue Dialysis Center LLC0.13 miles away116 East 124th Street New York New York 10035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (646) 979-3317
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Center at East River Plaza0.71 miles away520 East 117th Street 4th Fl New York New York 10035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (212) 731-3752
- City Dialysis Center0.77 miles away105 East 106th Street New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (212) 348-6637
- Harlem Hospital0.8 miles away506 Lenox Avenue - Room 18-107 Dialysis Unit New York New York 10037Dialysis Stations: 11 (212) 939-4848
- Ridgewood Dialysis Center, Inc.0.83 miles away1249 Fifth Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (212) 360-3860
- Avantus Harlem Green Dialysis1.08 miles away488 West 128th Street 2nd Floor New York New York 10027CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (212) 866-0206
- Mt. Sinai Kidney Ctr.1.13 miles away1 Gustave L. Levy Place Renal Treatment Ctr. Box 1147 New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 241-8081
- Metropolitan Hospital Center1.27 miles away1901 First Avenue Dialysis Unit New York New York 10029Dialysis Stations: 12 (212) 423-6086