Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility in Henrico, Virginia, a city with a population of 182,585 people. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are eight other nursing homes in Henrico. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Cardiac Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care scores are vital for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We would pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This particular facility had 4 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this place received large government fines recently totaling more than $100,000. This usually signifies that a facility'sbad track record has been an issue for more than one year.
Does this page answer your questions about Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home's was given a bottom of the barrel long-term care grade where it received an F. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to patient care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated only 75.17483 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
The last category we graded was nursing. This facility was given a poor grade of F in this category. Our nursing score features numerous data points. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.12% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Henrico, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Henrico, Virginia has 8 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- John Randolph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away411 West Randolph Road Hopewell Virginia 23860Proprietary(804) 541-1600
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.8 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- South Laburnum Dialysis LLC2.65 miles away4817 S Laburnum Ave Henrico Virginia 23231CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (804) 222-7718
- Laburnam Dialysis2.8 miles away4352 South Laburnum Avenue Henrico Virginia 23231Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 236-4699
- East Henrico Dialysis Center3.76 miles away3384 Creighton Road Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 644-0489
- Rai - Mechanicsville Trnpk-Richmond5.34 miles away2521 Mechanicsville Tpk Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (804) 644-0566
- Davita Richmond Community Dialysis5.57 miles away913 N 25th Street Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (804) 643-0506
- Total Renal Care - East End6.22 miles away2201 E Main St Richmond Virginia 23223Dialysis Stations: 6 (804) 643-3050
- Vcu Medical Center6.43 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1200 E Marshall St Box 985904 Richmond Virginia 23298Dialysis Stations: 9 (804) 828-9224
- West Hampton Regional Dialysis Center, LLC6.85 miles away500 East Laburnum Ave Richmond Virginia 23222Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 228-9990