Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center is a senior living facility in Henrico, Virginia, a city with a population of 182,585 people. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in Henrico. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Henrico senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Cardiac Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our short-term care rating. Our short-term care scores are vital for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Included in this nursing home's litany of low-end grades was its F in the area of long-term care. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated only 61.12853 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center?
We wanted to point out this nursing home's inspection grade where it received an F. This generally means we found red flags on the inspection reports. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection grade, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This particular nursing home had 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, we want to point out that this facility received significant government fines recently of over $100,000. This usually means that a facility's poor track record has been an issue for more than one year.
The last category we scored is nursing. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this category, which is a very poor grade. Our nursing grade analyzes several subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.16% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 5.02% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.95% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.66% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 23.72% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 74.56% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 27.86% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 30.52% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 30.52% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.65% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Henrico Health & Rehabilitation Center, 70.94% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Henrico, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Henrico, Virginia has 4 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.24 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- John Randolph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away411 West Randolph Road Hopewell Virginia 23860Proprietary(804) 541-1600
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.8 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- South Laburnum Dialysis LLC2.65 miles away4817 S Laburnum Ave Henrico Virginia 23231CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (804) 222-7718
- Laburnam Dialysis2.8 miles away4352 South Laburnum Avenue Henrico Virginia 23231Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 236-4699
- East Henrico Dialysis Center3.76 miles away3384 Creighton Road Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 644-0489
- Rai - Mechanicsville Trnpk-Richmond5.34 miles away2521 Mechanicsville Tpk Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (804) 644-0566
- Davita Richmond Community Dialysis5.57 miles away913 N 25th Street Richmond Virginia 23223CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (804) 643-0506
- Total Renal Care - East End6.22 miles away2201 E Main St Richmond Virginia 23223Dialysis Stations: 6 (804) 643-3050
- Vcu Medical Center6.43 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1200 E Marshall St Box 985904 Richmond Virginia 23298Dialysis Stations: 9 (804) 828-9224
- West Hampton Regional Dialysis Center, LLC6.85 miles away500 East Laburnum Ave Richmond Virginia 23222Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 228-9990