Helia Southbelt Healthcare is in Belleville, Illinois, a city with a population of 95,666 people. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Keep in mind that Belleville received a city grade of C, so should look at some other options in the city as well. Finally, inspections was the only shining light in our review of this nursing home. We provide additional information on this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Helia Southbelt Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Belleville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this place a poor overall score, we gave it a B for our inspections rating. This was the result of the facility receiving a decent inspection report this year. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that have a long list of deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only earned a D for its long-term care rating, which turns out to be one of its higher category grades. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this facility administered the vaccine to just 77.64351 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Helia Southbelt Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category we analyzed is short-term care, where this facility was given an F. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. With a score this poor in this category, we were not shocked to learn this nursing home was well below average in several staffing metrics we focus on. It supplied significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most facilities. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of patients that were able to return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Switching gears to the next area, this nursing home did not perform well here either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is about as terrible as it gets. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Helia Southbelt Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 31.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 87.05% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to patients well-being.
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Helia Southbelt Healthcare, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Metro-East Services IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away1404 Cross Street O Fallon Illinois 62269Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 607-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.15 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.93 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.12 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.44 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 19.66 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Davita - Metro East Dialysis3.78 miles away5105 West Main St. Belleville Illinois 62226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (618) 233-9018
- Fkc - Belleville4.63 miles away6525 W Main Street Belleville Illinois 62223Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-8181
- Davita - Shiloh Dialysis5.43 miles away1095 North Green Mount Rd Belleville Illinois 62221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 628-1108
- Total Renal Care, Inc.5.92 miles away1941 Frank Scott Parkway East, Suite B O Fallon Illinois 62269Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 622-0592
- Fmc - Regency Park7.45 miles away124 Regency Park Drive O Fallon Illinois 62269CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 622-0634
- Davita Edgemont Dialysis7.49 miles away8 Vieux Carre Drive East Saint Louis Illinois 62201Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-3809
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center12.5 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801
- Davita - Collinsville13.08 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016