Helia Healthcare of Belleville is a senior living facility in Belleville, Illinois, a city with a total of 95,666 people. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. This facility is just about as bad as it gets. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Helia Healthcare of Belleville
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Belleville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a poor overall score, we also gave this nursing home poor grades across the board in each of the categories. It only received a grade of just D for its inspections rating, which was its best category. Inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. You should be especially cautious when considering a facility with severe deficiencies on its inspection reports. This particular facility was assessed 6 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, we want to point out that this nursing home was assessed large government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This typically suggests that a facility's poor track record has been an issue for several years.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a a very poor score in our short-term care area. It was given a lowly F in this category. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Considering its grade in this category, we were not stunned to find that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we looked at. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Helia Healthcare of Belleville?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. The nursing score includes many components, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care, where this facility received a poor score in this category as well. It received an F in this category, which is obviously a major concern. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 96.37681 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Helia Healthcare of Belleville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 21.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 2.94% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 11.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 50.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 7.5% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 90.23% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 22.86% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 8.31% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Helia Healthcare of Belleville, 8.31% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Metro-East Services IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away1404 Cross Street O Fallon Illinois 62269Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 607-1000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.45 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.63 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Anderson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.65 miles away6800 State Route 162 Maryville Illinois 62062Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 288-5711
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 15.68 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Fkc - Belleville0.15 miles away6525 W Main Street Belleville Illinois 62223Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-8181
- Davita - Metro East Dialysis0.74 miles away5105 West Main St. Belleville Illinois 62226CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (618) 233-9018
- Davita Edgemont Dialysis3.05 miles away8 Vieux Carre Drive East Saint Louis Illinois 62201Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 398-3809
- Davita - Shiloh Dialysis5.86 miles away1095 North Green Mount Rd Belleville Illinois 62221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 628-1108
- Total Renal Care, Inc.6.4 miles away1941 Frank Scott Parkway East, Suite B O Fallon Illinois 62269Dialysis Stations: 12 (618) 622-0592
- Fmc - Regency Park7.33 miles away124 Regency Park Drive O Fallon Illinois 62269CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (618) 622-0634
- Davita - Sauget Dialysis Center8.46 miles away2061 Goose Lake Road East Saint Louis Illinois 62206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (618) 332-7801
- Davita - Collinsville9.34 miles away101 Lanter Ct. Collinsville Illinois 62234Dialysis Stations: 8 (618) 344-2016