Helen Hayes Hospital T C U is in West Haverstraw, New York, a city with a total of 4,769 people. Featuring an overall score of A+, this nursing home is without a doubt a top-shelf facility. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as one of the top 500 nursing homes in the nation. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category ratings, which appear to be equally impressive as its overall rating.
Helen Hayes Hospital T C U
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in West Haverstraw, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great nursing home overall, it also received A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were nearly perfect. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received high marks in the area of short-term care. Consequently, it received one of our best scores in that category with a grade of A+. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Helen Hayes Hospital T C U?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. Contributing to its elite profile, this nursing home also excelled in that area. In fact, it received a of A for that area. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were not able to track down this place's vaccination data. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the final category we scored, this facility was given an impressive grade grade of A in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home completed a straight A report card. The nursing grade weighs a host of data points. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This facility provided 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a resident more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Helen Hayes Hospital T C U Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Helen Hayes Hospital T C U, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Helen Hayes Hospital T C U, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 9.88 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.85 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Keller Ach (West Point)Acute Care - Department of Defense 13.05 miles away900 Washington Rd West Point New York 10996Department of Defense(845) 938-4034
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis5.06 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC7.24 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center7.88 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Rockland County Dialysis8.23 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Yorktown Akc10.38 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC11.06 miles away30 Route 59 Suffern New York 10901CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (845) 357-0452
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center12.33 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst13.38 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366