Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility is a very-small hospital-based nursing home in West Haverstraw, New York. It looks like this nursing home is among the highest-graded nursing homes we looked at. In fact, it received our most impressive grade. As far as we can see, this facility ought to be a no brainer for most people. As you can find below, this facility performed equally well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
51 N Rt 9w,
West Haverstraw NY 10993
67.2% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. We weren't able to track down deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This first-rate nursing home also dominated in the category of short-term care, where it received a score of A+. Only a small group of facilities fared better in this area. Our short-term care grades are important for individuals needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This facility excelled in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility provided about 50% more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than a typical facility. This is definitely a very favorable sign. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. On top of excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility in the nation in this area with 73.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also fared very well in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Very few nursing homes performed better in this category. For patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. It does not look like this facility submitted information on its vaccination levels. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the final area, we awarded this facility an A+ for its nursing grade. This rounded out a very impressive profile. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses are with residents as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides an incredible 7.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Out of this total, many of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which is one of the most highly trained levels of nurses. In addition to providing impressive levels of nursing care, this nursing home also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed as well as any facility in the nation in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Helen Hayes Hospital Residential Health Care Facility, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 10.59 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Keller Ach (West Point)Acute Care - Department of Defense 13.06 miles away900 Washington Rd West Point New York 10996Department of Defense(845) 938-4034
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.48 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 16.18 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis5.1 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC7.19 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center7.81 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Rockland County Dialysis8.24 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Yorktown Akc10.29 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC11.15 miles away30 Route 59 Suffern New York 10901CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (845) 357-0452
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center12.25 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst13.28 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366